Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: Interesting covers for novels?  (Read 2312 times)

DroidClaudia

• View Profile
Interesting covers for novels?
« on: March 13, 2010, 05:54:12 AM »
Any thoughts about splendid covers for scifi and fantasy novels doing the rounds at the moment?

Ones you like, don't like?

I'm not a great fan of the current Orbit Joe Abercrombie covers, for instance. Not enough contrast to make them stand out (I love the words inside, though).

Claud

:o

Silly Super String

• View Profile
Re: Interesting covers for novels?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 03:00:39 AM »
It has to be said, the covers for Stephen Hunt's novels do tend to leap out at you from the shelf - see the ad below this post if it's still there for confirmation.

I hate the Twilight covers. Mills and Book for the goth and visually illiterate.

Vinxlady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 08:31:27 AM »
I think my favourite at the moment is the hardback version of The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by G. W. Dahlquist. I saw that on the shelf and fell in love with it. Turned out to be a good read too!

As a collection, Stephen Hunt's Jackelian novels look amazing on the bookshelf, again, the eye-catching cover of The Court of the Air leapt out at me and I was hooked from there. I like the way the style has been followed through the series too.

The Newbury and Hobbes books by George Mann are also really well designed, with The Affinity Bridge standing out a mile with it's gold clockwork highlights and striking dirigible centrepiece.

I also love the simplistic yet beautiful style of the cover of Starbook by Ben Okri which is sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read at the moment (so I'm making an assumption based on blurb that it belongs somewhere in the fantasy genre).

In the slightly more horror genre, I loved the hardback version of Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box.

I often find that paperbacks are a disappointment after finding well-designed hardback copies so bonus marks to Stephen Hunt and George Mann for making such beautiful paperback editions.

Vinx

shunt12

• View Profile
    • Stephen Hunt Author's site
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 02:29:43 AM »
Hi Vinxlady

It's interesting that whenever I get into a conversation with someone who works in a bookshop and I mention that I'm an author, they always remember the covers of my books first, along with remarks like, 'oh yes, the really beautiful ones'.

Hopefully my words can live up to them!

Stephen

Jackobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 01:56:53 PM »
Just check out Chriss Foss artwork which was on almost every SF novel in the Eighties. His covers for the E.E.'Doc' Smith Lensman and D'Alambert novels are simply brilliant. 

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 02:41:33 PM »
Hello everyone

I still like the 1970s NEL cover for AE Van Vogt's 'The Silkie'. Chris Foss did a lot of spaceship covers for Van Vogt's books but that one wasn't one of his.

Geoff

Jeeves

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 04:35:30 AM »
Is Chris Foss still alive?

I haven't seen any of his pictures on book covers for years...

Maybe he just started looking too dated to the period for book editors to commission his works now for science fiction novels?

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 04:57:00 AM »
Hello Jeeves

Alive and kicking with a website: www.chrisfossart.com

Geoff

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 04:57:00 AM »