Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: Recommendations for the genre newbie  (Read 6397 times)

Vinxlady

• View Profile
Re: Recommendations for the genre newbie
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 01:57:34 PM »
I'm not sure I 'd go with Otherland for a newbie! I found the first book a bit of a slog, though it was well worth the effort to get to the rest of the series, which I thought was excellent - once I'd made the effort to get through to the end of the first book. There are a lot of different characters and plots that don't meet up until right at the end of the first book and we're talking over 900 pages here (with none of the other three books in the series being any shorter), making it quite hard to follow at times. I think the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series is much more accessible to a newbie if you're going to go with Tad Williams, though admittedly it is very much in the fantasy rather than science fiction category.

To add another recommendation to the ever-growing list I really enjoyed the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb, again more fantasy than scifi but one of those series I had to keep reading until I finished.

For those of you with small children, rather than the borg implants, don't forget 'Where's My Cow?'. Never too young for discworld :-) Plus I reallly realllly love the "hrruuuurrrrh" sound that the hippopotamus makes (check out the Stephen Briggs reading of the audio book of Thud, a very good listen!).

Vinxlady

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 01:37:52 PM »
Hello everyone

What about picking something from the Golden Age. Something like Asimov's 'I, Robot' or Clarke's 'Childhood's End'??

Both got me hooked when I was young and I still reckon they would work today.

Not sure if I'd throw a newbie at Heinlein or Bradbury from the start though. My first books of these were Podkayne Of Mars and Dandelion Wine - and never tried neither of them again. It wasn't until adulthood that I tried Heinlein again.

Geoff

Alizarin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 06:00:17 AM »
OH, Vinxlady just reminded me I still haven't read the third part of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn!

I fully admit that I love my pulp fantasy. Just picked up a random Dragonlance novel someone was throwing away...it's been years since I read any TSR books ^^

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 03:02:22 PM »
Hello everyone

It might be worth asking what tastes the newbie has. Science Fiction is such a large genre that there it would be easier to make a fit that way than choose something you liked personally.

Geoff

andyw1691

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 02:58:40 AM »
I would recommend the Vatta's War series by Elizabeth Moon. They are not too long and the main character is a feisty young lady who has a romantic involvement during the story. The story is based in the future and involves a company that is essentially a trading/shipping organisation using spaceships to transport the goods between planets. There is no hard to understand science, but an interesting tale nonetheless. Start with the first book 'Trading in Danger' and see where it goes. If she becomes interested then there are five books in the series.

Andy

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 02:58:40 AM »