Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: Touchwood: Miracle Day: Episode One appraisal day by: GF Willmetts  (Read 4592 times)

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Touchwood: Miracle Day: Episode One

appraisal day by: GF Willmetts

That bosaris Jack Harkness messed up the website when every time I typed Touchwood it came out Touchwood. It took five days to beat it. Actually, it still does but don’t tell anyone else that but you know what I’m talking about.

Trying to avoid spoilers here so feel safe because nothing will be said that should spoil it for you.

Still puzzling over what has happened to Eve Myles’ freckles. Were they covered over for the American audience?

John Barrowman’s portrayal of a certain Harkness seems somewhat subdued even before he realises he’s back to mortal status. He’s normally long-lived so it shouldn’t take long to have restored his joie de verve.

It’s hardly spoiler to say that all the humans in the world find they can no longer die. Unlike the Harkness though, if you get damaged, you stay damaged so no bungee jumping without a bungee. It also means that it isn’t sharing his ability around. Well, if it, it’s only partial.

Who or what is causing it? Was Harkness’ erasure of Touchwood mentions on the Net the trigger? I mean, why choose now to come back to Earth? Then again, who ordered up the helicopter to attack Gwen Cooper or was the real target, Rex Matheson, the man from CIA? It could hardly be Harkness because none of the them he was going to arrive.

Geoff

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Touchwood: Miracle Day: Episode Two appraisal day by: GF Willmetts
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 03:31:54 PM »
Touchéwood: Miracle Day: Episode Two

Eve Myles gets her freckles back.

Is it me or is Bill Pullman channelling De Niro??

Anyone wiser as to what is going on after this episode? Not helped by them not ending on a cliff-hanger.

I wouldn’t recommend the cure Harkness was given to his poisoning. As a type one diabetic, that syringe is also far too big to give anyone insulin.
 Medical point: If you find a semi-conscious diabetic, they need food – especially chocolate or glucose – not insulin if you want to save their lives. Don't forget to call an ambulance.

An odd question about Harkness’ survival. Well, he has to really or how else does the Doctor meet the Face of Boe? Mind you, there’s no explanation as to how he changed into that shape.

Notice how I’m mostly avoiding spoiler. The show is moving too slow. We’re seeing the machinations of the US intelligence service but not who’s manipulating all of this. How are we going to know our enemy?

Geoff

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Touchwood: Miracle Day: appraisal day by day by: GF Willmetts
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 01:23:54 AM »
Tooshwood: Miracle Day: Episode Three

At last one of the players makes an appearance, even if it’s hidden behind a corporate name. Methinks their PR woman is more involved than she appears.

Considering that PhiCorps drugs have been available world-wide, could that be the connection as to why Harkness wasn’t affected, as he’s been off-planet for over eighteen months. Shoulda been taking the medicine, Jack. Doesn’t explain why he’s mortal but it would explain why everyone else became immortal. The odd question with that is there are people in the world who don’t take pain-killer medication, so would they stay mortal?

To take the American vernacular, Gwen Cooper kicks ass or rather hits foreheads. Be wary of being asked for directions by her.

The team isn’t always acting like a team yet but I suspect that will come later.

Still more build-up than results yet.
   Don’t forget your mask.

Geoff

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Touchwood: Miracle Day: Episode One appraisal day by: GF Willmetts
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 03:32:03 AM »
Tombwood: Miracle Day: Episode Four

You would have thought that even a non-field CIA agent like Esther Drumond would know something about avoiding places where she might be spotted.

The same applies to Gwen. In the espionage trade you would get a sense that someone was watching. Just because they think they’ve gotten away doesn’t mean vigilance should be shut off.

I was going to say that only the Americans would be dispassionate enough to put those who would have otherwise be dead by then into camps but it looks like the rest of the world is following their lead.

Critically, there’s still too much family stuff padding out the story which is messing up the pace. This is a problem of working a British TV show to longer American season lengths.

LA coast folk seem happy considering the ‘Dead Is Dead’ brochure campaign.

You would think they could go out a buy a server off the shelf than post for one which would leave a digital trail.

Oh, the only reason I haven’t warned the American audience not to read these missives early is cos you people across the pond appear to be a week ahead of us.

Just because you can’t be killed doesn’t mean you can’t be stopped. You would think people would be taking more care not to be damaged. If anything, life in this state is far worse than walking on eggshells. Things can only hurt forever.

Geoff

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Touchwood: Miracle Day: Episode Five appraisal day by: GF Willmetts
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 04:21:28 AM »
Torchedwood: Miracle Day: Episode Five

When mortality is restored, there’s going to be a lot of funerals. Will the undertakers keep up?

I’m surprised that there hasn’t been a major world-wide rebellion on these government proposals. Must be other medication in the water.

Still seems odd to split Gwen from the rest of the group when they share the same problem, although storywise, it probably allowed the use of the lady doctor than have too many characters together.

Would a Type 1 diabetic be classed as a Category B? If so, then I’d be in a lot of trouble.

Do you suppose Osward Danes is an anagram for something?

Geoff

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Touchwood: Miracle Day: Episode Six appraisal day by: GF Willmetts
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 03:27:09 AM »
Tofuwood: Miracle Day: Episode Six

Fee-Foe-Phi-Thumb! I smell American commerce taking advantage of a situation waiting to happen.

Amazed how the general population of the world is going along with their governments in this. Looking at the UK recently, I can’t see that as necessarily happening although I suspect we haven’t seen the internment camps for hiding away dissenters. Would be interesting to see what would happen at the elections after this.

Blessings all around if you can get the in-joke. We’re still no wiser as to who or what is the real player is behind the scenes although there is still too much of a tendency to point where this is leading in the taster for the next episode. This might be used as enticement for American viewers to keep going but less so for us Brits.

From the looks of things, T*rchw**d isn’t so secret as it thinks itself if Gwen’s contact lens device can be hacked.

At least things are moving along now.

Geoff

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Toughwood: Miracle Day: Episode Seven appraisal day by: GF Willmetts
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 08:33:50 AM »
Toughwood: Miracle Day: Episode Seven

Seems a bit odd showing some of Harkness’ back story but ultimately it doesn’t appear to be his memories after all. Bit crazy really as it would have made more sense from Angelo’s POV than Harkness and giving a mid-19th century take on events.

Bit raunchy even for our watershed. Makes me wonder how much was shown Stateside and I wasn’t referring to a certain individual’s bum.

This could even be called ‘They Keep Killing Jack’. Shame no one tried decapitation even if he could survive that.

References to the Doctor and the Trickster.

Bringing SF actors out of the woodwork. Apart from Nana Visitor in this story, it looks like there’s a bearded John DeLancie for episode eight.

The story still feels padded out. We’re far too used to shorter seasons over here. Maybe it would have been wiser had they done a couple stories rather than one long one or failing that, stronger sub-plots rather than spending an hour over a single plot point.

Geoff

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Touchwood: Miracle Day: Episode One appraisal day by: GF Willmetts
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 03:58:34 AM »
Terrorwood: Miracle Day: Episode Eight

Maybe this should be Technicalwood as I’m going into technical aspects

Angelo Colasanto seems to have become a red herring after the build up last week.

The three people taking Harkness’ blood samples brings out an odd thing about him. Harkness is supposed to bounce back to what he was like in that moment of time when he first became immortal. In that respect, one would think that any part of him taken away would be re-incorporated back into him. Problem with that is how did he ever father any children although one could speculate that there must be a time limit (sic) for things left outside of his body. Logistically, though, Harkness could be the ultimate body part donor simply because he could re-grow whatever organ was taken from him. Bet that’ll send a shiver down his spine.

The Blessing hardly looks that way, nor does it resemble what makes Harkness tick. If you’re injured or shot, you stay that way. If anything, you would have to be even more careful with your life than you were before. Let’s hope that’s explained.

I’m still puzzled over the logic of population growth. No one dies but those near death originally are hardly likely to be eating more or less. Those who are old go on as before. It would take several years before many reach pensionable age to change things that drastically. The same with newly born children. We’ve always had them but its less likely to mess up the food chain too much. The real problem lies with those seriously injured and had things been normal would have died. Logistically, it would take a couple years before things got too serious. I suspect the same would apply to all parts of the world.
   Had they been given Harkness’ attributes, the need for food wouldn’t be seen as a necessity. After all, in the previous season, he stayed in a coffin for a couple centuries without the need for food or fresh air nor boredom.

The plot is still moving slowly along and even though it’s now hinted who is behind the Blessing, it looks like it’s based off of technology that Torchwood had in the Hub. Makes you wonder what else survived that destruction, doesn’t it?

Now, a final puzzle. Considering how feisty Gwen Cooper is, how come she so meekly accepts being put on a plane back to the UK. With her history, getting away wouldn’t have been that difficult. A little too contrived to ensure other members of the cast get a bit of limelight but it does point out a problem of having too many cast members in the same place at the same time and giving them something significant to do. With the next season and assuming there is a large cast, maybe it would make more sense to have them divided and attacking the problem from different sub-plots rather than linking up all the time.

Geoff

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Touchwood: Miracle Day: Episode Nine appraisal day by: GF Willmetts
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 03:58:50 AM »
Tombwood: Miracle Day: Episode Nine

A two month delay before things got moving again. Doesn’t this go against the principle of some urgency for plot resolution?

Gwen could easily run out of chemists to ram raid.

Considering how recognised he is, how did Osward Danes get across the pond from the US to the UK? Come to that, how did Harkness and Esther Drumond do a similar thing?

I did have a ponder on how T*rchw**d was getting all its toys now the Hub is destroyed, but I guess even they don’t hide their equipment all in one place.

I was right that Jilly whatshername was going to have a bigger presence or rather non-presence now her info is off the Net.

Why didn’t Rex Matheson keep his contact lenses in if he wanted a quiet conversation with the people in Wales?

Hands up all those who thought the creature that Phicorp has was the Face of Boe? Granted it looks like two beefburgers without the ketchup or mustard but could explain where they get the blood from and Harkness’ problem the closer he gets to his own singularity. Something that big must surely attract a certain time traveller, assuming he’s alive.

Geoff

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: T-wood: Miracle Day: Episode Ten appraisal day by: GF Willmetts
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 04:30:08 PM »
T-wood: Miracle Day: Episode Ten

In the interview circuit this week, actor John Barrowman comments that there was more criticism of him kissing another man than that of his torture scenes or even that of Oswald Danes’ character being a paedophile. Oddly, I haven’t criticised the use of these three but I suspect of them, which is more likely to happen in real life is what caused the reaction. It doesn’t say much for our televised drama that we can react far stronger to things closer to real life than world-threatening situations, does it?

Looking at this episode, I hate to say this but the Science Fiction aspect comes over as minimal. Yes, people have prolonged lives but it wasn’t exploited enough. We know the detrimental effect of over-crowding but rarely see it and if you get seriously damaged, you’re left with a damaged body or even brain dead and hardly an effect on the food resources. It’s one thing saying such things but the old SF and indeed, story, adage is: Show, not say. Surely that could have been integrated better into the story, even using the Cooper sub-plot to show what was going on to normal people.

Now considering that this thing that looks like a double hamburger has adjusted life expectation by using Harkness’ blood, you would have thought it would have conferred his bounce back ability as well. Now that would have made people more daredevil-like. You’d have people like Claire Bennett from ‘Heroes’ essentially. Now that would have upped the stakes considerably and it’s a shame that no one thought of this. Imagine all those people jumping out of buildings doing extreme sports suddenly realising the mistake they made. That does tend to suggest that there wasn’t even time in development and even Russell T. Davies was only hitting on only certain things he wanted to see happen. I did predict one person being resurrected. The second one – spoiler so not giving names – shouldn’t have been unexpected because of a certain transfusion. I thought he already had some of Harkness’ blood in his system already. It does appear that anyone having a transfusion from Harkness could have his ability although that might only have been the effect of the Blessing so probably won’t happen again.

[Looking at my comments above in the light of day, I suspect the reason for not showing people doing extreme sports is to ensure no copycatting in our reality. Even so, you would have thought government health warning that if you're damaged, you'll be damaged permanently would have ensured more people would have taken care of their bodies.]

There was an interesting Quatermass moment but the double hamburger joins the big dumb object things that have appeared in both ‘T-Wood’ (notice the virus worm hasn’t stopped yet) and ‘Doctor Who’ lately. Oh, for the days of megalomaniac aliens who told you their intentions! People are still left guessing as to the purpose of this…er…thing. It could be part of the Earth or something that dropped out of the Rift but part of Mother Nature? If it was, it would happen on all life possessing planets.

Without going too spoiler, I did wonder where the representative of the third family was but that’s explained and with an opening for the next series. Of the other two families, does it make sense to you that there was only one person alive for each of them? Oddly, they all appear to be bankers so maybe that makes a good reason to vilify them.

An odd thing is the survival of Jilly whatshername considering she was actually in the blast area at the end. If that was true of all those in the blast area then I hope that’s addressed in the next series.

I’ve been extremely critical of the slowness of this season of ‘T-wood’. I think the real problem has always been extending one story over a long period. This season is double the length of the superb season three but it was also a story that was shown over five days rather than ten weeks. That puts a lot more pressure on sustainability to bring viewers other than the core audience back each week. I do hope that the next season will at least consider having some individual stories back in the framework just for a change of pace.

This story has been an interesting experiment but I hope next time, Davies develops his ideas more. There’s certainly plenty of room for character development.

Geoff
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 03:31:27 AM by Geoff the head Uncle »

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

Re: T-wood: Miracle Day: Episode Ten appraisal day by: GF Willmetts
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 04:30:08 PM »