Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: A Hello, A Confession And A Redeeming Revelation  (Read 4113 times)

Jim Chaseley

• View Profile
A Hello, A Confession And A Redeeming Revelation
« on: February 20, 2012, 05:47:03 AM »
Hi, I'm Jim!

That's the hello sorted. Now for a confession:

I came here initially, looking for a way to (politely), plug my own debut novel. But, I won't do that unless given a specific invitation to do so. The title of my novel will not pass from my fingertips without invitation.

Dirty self-plugger wannabe! But here's the redeeming revelation:

I've never really read any steampunk before, and certainly haven't read Stephen Hunt. Whilst researching Mr Hunt, to see if I could work my way up to a plug, I got really interested in the idea of his books. Guess what I'm off to the shops to buy at lunch time!? The Court of The Air. (I actually read the Amazon blurb for book 6, which thanfully doesn't really give anything away, even for the earlier novels, so i can start with a clean slate).

For my next sci-fi read I was considering something completely different to Stephen's work, but I find myself hooked. That's clever that, some sort of ingenious reverse-psychology plugging he's managed to pull off on people like me. We come here to peddle our wares, and instead pedal away laden down with his! :)

So, I hope you lot can forgive me my (at first) ulterior motives. I'm actually posting now as a potential, and let's face it, probable, fan.

Self-publishing - A genuine, but also vested interest of mine. Do you lot read much self-published science fiction? On the Kindle? I gave a free book a go, by Stephen Sweeney (called The Honour Of The Knights), which was...not bad, if you like fairly formulaic space operas. Do you lot think self-publishing has a dirty rep? Is it deserved?

Cheers,
Jim

(It's taking a mighty effort, but I'm not even going to litter the post with so much as my Twitter or Facebook links)

Jim Chaseley

• View Profile
Re: A Hello, A Confession And A Redeeming Revelation
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:05:38 AM »
Well, damn, no Stephen Hunt at all in my local bookstores. I'd imagine that's a good sign! I'll buy it off Amazon, then.

119 views in a couple of hours. Lively forum! :)

Stop and say hello, I promise not to brand you with a hot iron in the shape of my novel's main character...not until the second date, anyway.

Over 500 views! So many people I could've waved my book at! I'm guessing the very second I crumble and post an Amazon link, I'll get jumped on though, eh? :)

...(sci-fi humour...7 five-star reviews in less than two weeks...)

(A book called Z14...)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 08:51:26 AM by Jim Chaseley »

andyw1691

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:32:51 AM »
Hi Jim,

I have read a few self published novels and the quality does vary. By quality I mean is the story a good one and how it is presented to the reader. A lot of stories tend to loose their way as though the author got bored with the project half way through or the initial idea(s) were not strong enough to keep the story going.

With regard to how the story is presented to the reader I'm talking about editing and proof reading. This also varies widely which may be due to the lack of access the authors have to quality editors or reviewers before publication. Of course, it may also be down to the fact that the author disagrees with what the editor and reviewers are saying.

As I own a Kindle it is my preferred reading platform for novels and short stories. I often seen books and short stories which are very badly formatted for the Kindle. Some of these are supplied by Amazon which really should do better. I see your books on sale for £1.95 and has 7 five star reviews and 1 four star review. Thats quite impressive.

Once I have finished the backlog of books I already have lined up, I will have a look.

Andy

Jim Chaseley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 05:26:01 PM »
Hi there, Andy, thanks for that.

I've read three self-pubbed Kindle books in total, and they've all been at least as good as the next "average" traditional book I've read. With the exception of worse quality control over things like typos and formatting.

It'd be cool if you did get around to checking mine out. Amazon's Look Indside feature lets you see most of the first 6 chapters, which is good. Plenty for someone to make their mind up there. I think that's more than you get with the downloadable sample, I'm not sure.

Would I actually get jumped on for linking to it here?

Jim Chaseley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 04:39:58 AM »
Have sourced a copy of Court Of The Air! Picking it up tomorrow. Exciting!

Ok, please remove this if it's wrong to do so, but I've not been told not to.

Z14 - Fast-paced comedy sci-fi romp, with a bit of a strange, sometimes daft plot, and humour to match.

Z14 is a cyborg, he’s a killer and he’s a collector of cuddly toys. He’s at the top of the food chain on the planet Deliverance. Nobody can touch him, and, if they did, he’d just regenerate anyway. He whiles away his time assassinating humans and trying to figure out why a mysterious space fleet brought millions of colonists here, generations ago.

Killing humans. It’s wrong. He knows that. But it just feels right, somehow, almost like he was made to do it – and it pays really well. But Z14’s days of strutting around like he owns the place might just be numbered. When a ship from that mysterious fleet just happens to turn up, and a big, squishy clue falls on Z14’s doorstep, he starts getting some answers. He also finds himself facing the unknown. Things the humans call ‘challenges’, and, worse than that, ‘empathy’.

On a planet where the law is set by the lawless and morals weren't part of the colonial supplies, an unstoppable cyborg assassin could be an unexpected force for good. Or, if not a force for good, then at least a hindrance to evil.

When it looks like only Z14 can save humanity, they’ll just have to hope he decides he wants to.

Just £1.95, or $3.08 on Kindle:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0075YUGNK/
http://www.amazon.com/Z14-ebook/dp/B0075YUGNK/

andyw1691

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 03:50:09 PM »
Hi Jim,

Once you release a book into the public domain then it has to live and die as it is. The first published reviews you get are probably going to determine the eventual success (or not) of your book. There are people like me who are looking for the positives in a novel and will put up with typo's and formatting. Other people will take the opportunity to use this to post a negative review simply because of the number of typos or bad formatting. This should be avoided at all costs as once the poor review is posted it can’t be undone. As typo’s and formatting issues can be easily identified and corrected there is really no excuse for getting them fixed before publication.

I will have a look at your novel as I do like to support new authors but any feedback will be a case of closing the stable door after the horse as bolted.

Best of luck!

Andy

Jim Chaseley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 04:04:30 PM »
Well, thanks in advance for taking a look, Andy! :)

Yep, I agree with all that, but, with the Kindle version (which is all I have currently) I can be alerted to anything I've missed, and upload an amended document to Kindle.

Sure, it may not help people who've already got it, but if they're aware of the new version, they can re-download if they so choose.

I bought the Kindle versions of the A Song Of Ice And Fire series, on my Android phone, using the Kindle app, and I actually got direct notifications through the app of amended versions.

It may not help reviews that have spotted the earlier, naff version (not that mine's naff! It's been edited pretty well, although I'm sure there are a few errors here and there), but you can always comment on those reviews, saying you've addressed the problems they picked up on.

I think my book's a lot better than a lot of the self-pubbed stuff out there...in terms of editing quality control. Am committed to fixing any errors people do notify me about, though.

Disreputable_Stave

• Author of The Game Called Revolution
    • View Profile
    • Scott Kinkade's Sci-fi Stories
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 10:29:03 PM »
Hello Mr. Chaseley.
I too am an aspiring author and I run a blog with bits of my work at www.thegamecalledrevolution.blogspot.com. Your character sounds to me a lot like HK-47 from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I wish you the best in your efforts.

With regard to formatting for Kindle, it's important to go through your ebook and look for formatting errors, then open up the HTML code for the section where the error occurs and see if you can find the faulty code that's causing it.

Jim Chaseley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 09:50:52 AM »
Hi, uh, Mr Stave!

Hey, that's a really interesting comparison! I love HK-47, he's a fantastic character. Wickedly funny. For all I know, there may have been a bit of subconscious inspiration from him. Although Z14 has much more of a human side, even if he's not "meant" to.

My brother said he was put in mind of Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs character, at first, before Z14 went on to forge his own personality, over the course of the book.

So, a dash of HK-47, a sprinkling of Takeshi Kovacs, added to the rest of the mix - I think that makes for a great character.

I've forwarded your blog adress home, so I can have a look at it without it being blocked from work. :)

Don't suppose I've tempted anyone to pick it up, yet, have I?

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 09:50:52 AM »