Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: Reviews of free book-- "The Space Between"  (Read 3401 times)

andyw1691

• View Profile
Re: Reviews of free book-- "The Space Between"
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 10:18:14 AM »
I have just finished reading The Space Between and it is a good read. There's some interesting ideas in there and the writing is good. The main character is an utterly believable 21st century strong willed young woman. I'd hate to get on the wrong side of her.

The story is set against a background of Earth and some linked planets coming under attack from an aggressive alien race. In addition to our heroine the story picks up a collection of aliens and fantasy characters along the way. The reasons behind the alien attack are slowly pieced together just in time for another even deadlier race to enter the arena just before the first book ends. It's more than enough to get you to want to read the second book!

There are quite a few typos present but the biggest problem with this book is the editing. Just as we have got to know three of the main characters and things look as though they are getting interesting for them, the story takes a break to introduce another character. And its a very long break lasting eight chapters. I kept wondering what had happened to Kim? There are also a few instances were one of the characters asks a question or makes a statement with no lead up to the subject. You are left wondering why did they ask that or how did they know that?

Anyway - I enjoyed it and would recommend it.

Andy

Scott J Robinson

• View Profile
    • Scott J Robinson
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 05:57:45 PM »
Thanks Andy, glad you enjoyed it.

It can be tough to get the mix right sometimes with multiple view point characters. I actually adjusted it because some of my early readers complained of switching between characters too much so they didn't have a chance to get to know them before they went off somewhere else. Oh well.

Obviously didn't know about the typos.

An as for the last point... Do you remember some examples so I can go and have a look?

Thanks for the comments and, again, glad you enjoyed it.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 06:33:25 PM by Scott J Robinson »

andyw1691

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 01:51:13 PM »
Hi Scott,

I did not keep notes so I have had to go back and re-read it. It's strange, but I enjoyed the story even more second time round. I have sent you an e-mail with the things I noticed.

I'm now about 1/3 of the way through Singing Other Worlds and I like the way the story is going. The Trolls attitude to cats is spot on  ;D

Andy

Scott J Robinson

• View Profile
    • Scott J Robinson
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 05:22:25 PM »
Thanks for those notes, Andy. Though you have just made more work for me and slowed the next books down :)

And I'm glad you're enjoying number 2. Scree is my favourite character, though some people may not like the way he starts out.

Scott

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 05:22:25 PM »