Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: Doctor Who 2011 Season part 2 - if you're abroad, read after watching.  (Read 3433 times)

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Doctor Who – Let’s Kill Hitler

A bit of a misnomer of a story title when it’s really the origin, or part origin, of River Song. I’m being very careful not to give too many spoilers here so come back after you’ve watched the episode for whenever I become too cryptic below. I’m not giving away anything per se about the plot.

It’s interesting to note that Rory is actually a little younger than Amy when she first knew him and now because of the previous season is actually a couple thousand years older now if you’re keeping count.

I wonder why the Nazi imposter couldn’t grow its own pair of glasses?

Since when does the TARDIS have a voice interface? If we’re not careful, the Doctor will be able to fly the TARDIS by remote control.

As we’re all likely to wonder what the first question was, let’s put my answer into the bowl: Why?

River Song’s saving of the Doctor looks like a way of giving the Time Lord ten or eleven more regenerations. I wonder if writer Steven Moffat is going to remind us of that later? More so, considering the Doctor knows something of his own fate. There’s a lot of things in this story that could be used to get around that. In a writer’s sense of plot, especially in Science Fiction, to show how to beat the smoking gun and I think it’s tucked away here. Just because you see an event, it doesn’t mean the end result is actually what it seems.

Alex Kingdom is a scene-stealer with the sexiest voice.

A great start back into the second part of the 2011 season. A bit odd going to Nazi Germany but neatly avoids asking too many questions. Logistically, it must be one of the points in human history that mustn’t be changed. Does make you wonder how many others there are but considering the number of invasions and so forth that the Doctor circumnavigated makes you wonder how many other points are there really. Of the top of my head, considering the Doctor appears after the hibernation on the Ark does suggest that is another one of them. Put your thinking caps on, folks.

Geoff

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor Who 2011 Season part 2 - if you're abroad, read after watching.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 02:17:14 PM »
Doctor Who – Night Terrors

A real haunted dollhouse story. I presume you all figured out where Amy and Rory materialised? I didn’t even have to open the wardrobe to work it out.

Interesting thought: Was it my imagination or was there a block of flats with a working lift – elevator for those across the pond – the most implausible thing in this story?

Isn’t it about time psychic paper was merchandised? After all, it just needs a prism treatment and a reflection of light for a couple selections.

The only thing left outstanding at the end of the story was Alex paying his rent. By the time the Doctor returns they could be out on the street. With his TARDIS, he could return for puberty his next day. We still don’t know quite what George actually is.

In many respects, this was a fast food story. A few threads chucked in the air but nothing done with them. Neither the landlord or the old lady did anything but act as window dressing. Shame really nothing was done with those twins. I wonder if the story could have got through a bit more development?

Matt Smith’s confidence as the Doctor is definitely growing. His companions are at least not scared to drop down but they need more to use their talents. Their daughter would be so proud.

Geoff
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:22:50 AM by Geoff the head Uncle »

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 02:15:21 PM »
Doctor Who – The Girl Who Waited

Comments and criticisms first and hopefully no spoilers so place what I say after watching the episode:-

Although it was explained that Amy didn’t feel hungry for the week of separation, it doesn’t explain what she did ate for thirty-four years. If she didn’t eat, how could she get old? If Appacheia was in a state of temporal flux with everyone there out of phase with each other then none of the reality was for real.

Speaking of which, what biological consistency has the Appacheians have with Gallifreyans that they can have the same infections?

If Amy could hack the Interface to control it, why didn’t she also control the robots by the same process or did they work independently of the Interface? If they are independent, why not modify the Interface to warn her of their arrival?

Getting the two Amys to think the same thought, I would have thought it would have made more sense for them to think of Rory than Appacheia.

As to which choice Rory should have chosen. That’s easy: Amy.

Clever story and a real tour de force for actors Karen Gillan with Arthur Darvill carrying the emotional impact. (With the Confidential after, please tell him the beard doesn’t suit him.) There was also a strong reminder of what it is to be a Time Lord and the decisions they have to make.

Will the real Karen Gillan stand up. A remarkable make-up job.

A couple years ago, I criticised the show for too many invasions per season. As much as I liked this episode, I’m beginning to think we ought to have a few stories that aren’t so personal just for a change of pace.

Steven Moffat’s tenure is going to be remembered for time dilemmas but I can’t help wonder if there’s too much of a good thing. At least he hasn’t tried going back and killed someone’s grandma yet…although this got close.

Geoff

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 02:09:21 PM »
Doctor Who – The God Complex

This one is going to give kids nightmares simply because being caught in mazes that you can’t get out of is standard dream fodder. Worry if you suddenly find yourself in ‘The Shining’ lounge filled with ventriloquist figures. The minotaur is the Nicholson character, only he doesn’t have an axe. Here’s Miney!!!

Looking at the pictures on the wall, did I spot that Jonathan Ross and Ricky Gervais have finally had their comeuppance?? Finally!!!

Nice to see David Walliams without any make-up on. He’s been acting human for far too long. Doesn’t he look like Ratty from ‘Wind In The Willows’ though?

The minotaur make-up is exquisite. Considering the TARDIS normally translates alien languages, I wonder why Amy and Rory couldn’t understand it this time? Then again, the TARDIS wasn’t there a lot of the time neither. Must have been a temporal flux.

Bit odd to select a nerd instead of some normal human to have fear. Since when are nerds have faith in anything?

Rita would have made an interesting companion.

What is Rory’s faith in if not his wife?

Amy and Rory have to be the companions most dumped by the Doctor and picked up again. One thing this does indicate is just how lonely a traveller the Doctor actually is. It’s one thing to go visiting unusual worlds in different times, but not sharing it with anyone with common experiences must be a downer for this Time Lord.

But how did Doctor supply a house and car for Amy and Rory?

All three of them are aware that they are going to meet up again at his…er…death. Anyone else figured out what will actually happen there?

Geoff

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 03:47:25 PM »
Doctor Who – Closing Time

Return of the cybermen. No surprises there as it was announced last week. Now are they from the alternative Earth or Telos or can’t anyone tell the difference any more? After all, the cybermats were from the Telos brand originally.

Considering they didn’t take Craig Owens’ brain out of his skull, as they’ve done in the past, aren’t they downgrading the threat? What next? Plush cybermen merchandise??

The plot’s getting a little simplistic and depending more on character moments and far too much sonic screwdriver usage. Not sure if I go along with producer Steven Moffat’s assertion that he would like actor James Corden as a companion in the ‘Confidential’ though. Must be an age thing. At least we’d be spared them cuddling up all the time.

Shouldn’t the Doctor have checked for what happened to the three people whom the cybermen took away? I mean, if they’d taken the entire body of Owens then couldn’t they have done the same with them.

What the hell were thosewhoknows doing in Colchester?

Nice to know I was right about the occupant of the spacesuit although if the Doctor is planning to survive, his scheme is off-camera. Does anyone believe that the Doctor would meekly walk into the sunset without trying to get around the final solution?

Was nice to see actress Lynda Barron. Matt Smith will one day make a fine comedy actor even if he looked a little tipsy.

An odd episode but why does the Doctor need to go around looking at everyone he’s helped before a regeneration?

Geoff

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 02:44:01 PM »
Doctor Who – The Wedding Of River Song

My first thoughts with this story was what did the Doctor do to pass the time up to his death. After all, he couldn’t jump ahead in his own time-line and he had more than a few decades to pass. At least it was explained as he searched for the servants of the Silence. I would have thought the eye patches would have been a give-away. Betcha they’ll do wonders as Yuletide presents this year.

Interesting comments given as to why the Doctor doesn’t want to cross his own time-line and probably why he rarely bumps into his earlier companions or at least earlier than he met and left them. That would probably explain the acknowledgement of the Brigadier’s death – a very nice gesture to actor Nicolas Courtney.
   It also explains why he feels so uncomfortable around Jack Harkness who is stuck in a time rut but time moves continually around him if you think about it.

Is this the first time that we’ve actually seen the Doctor take a Dalek physically down and dismantle it?

Loved the changes in reality with everything merged and stuck in a time rut.

The beating of his death was kind of top of my list for explanation after the ‘Let’s Kill Hitler’ episode. I wonder if Stephen Moffet did that for the smarter ones amongst us or to avoid an answer out of the left field.

This was a very clever episode but we really see to have an enemy that can speak for itself at some point.

I also think this episode is going to be revered for some time to come. A brilliant finale.

Just some notes looking at the Confidential. Nice story by the school kids.

What is really interesting is seeing River Song’s story the right way around. Looks like she’s still got some time with the Doctor. After all, she still does know his real name or why was the Tennant Who so surprised she knew it. She also has yet to get her own sonic screwdriver. Does that mean we’re going to see River Song as a companion for a season? After all, there has been no announcement for a new companion yet or how they can bring Amy Pond and Rory back yet, although they must qualify as the most dumped and retrieved companions so far.

Did I say I liked this episode??

Geoff

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 02:44:01 PM »