Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: Craynarbians and Graspers?  (Read 4588 times)

The Commodore

• View Profile
Craynarbians and Graspers?
« on: November 20, 2011, 06:45:41 AM »
Firstly, I would like to thank you for one of the most enjoyable series of books I have ever read, and that a certain salty U-Boat captain is one of my favourite characters of all time  ;D

My question is what do craynarbians and Graspers look like?

I plan to contribute some stuff to the fan art page on deviant art and I'd like to include some of the near-human races too so a brief description would be great  :)

Thanks in advance  ;D

shunt12

• View Profile
    • Stephen Hunt Author's site
Re: Craynarbians and Graspers?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 10:20:40 AM »
Well, the key thing to remember is that both craynarbians and graspers are evolutionary offshoots of humanity in the far future.

In the Jackelian universe, at least on Earth, non-human races tend to fall into three categories…  naturally evolved offshoots of base human, the result of genetic engineering in the distant past, or alien imports from when Earth still had a space faring culture.

Craynarbians are human-like, but with much of their skin overgrown with crab-like carapace natural armour to protect them from a very harsh natural environment. Think a kind of organic Imperial Stormtrooper, if you're a StarWars fan. They stand six foot tall and their normal human arms and hands (their manipulator arms) have been added to with two extra weapon arms, one a bony club arm, and the other a razored bone-like slicing arm.

Graspers are a branch of humanity that retreated underground during the ice age. They're more or less the same us, but stand about five feet tall, with a variety of natural fur coverings in a range of colours. Their eyes are slightly larger than base human and their skin more leathery.

Hope that’s useful, commodore.

Stephen

The Commodore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 03:26:32 AM »
Thanks so much that really helps, I hope you enjoy the end product  ;D

By the by just finished reading jack cloudie and bless my mortal bones but it was a fine read  ;)

Great work as always, thanks
Commodore

shunt12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:06:08 AM »
Glad you enjoyed reading Jack Cloudie.

Sure and you're a discriminating reader!

Stephen

The Commodore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 05:13:02 PM »
Just had a sudden thought, so Graspers are quite similar to the jagonese ab-locks? Just not quite so feral and backward?

Now I'm picturing T-face in a frock coat and I'm not sure if I'm on the right track  :o
What are their other distinguishing features? Their name has always suggested large hands to me, or is that jackelians stereotyping them as greedy?

Also I seem to recall something from the court of the air about them being kind of mole like, but that might just be me :D

As always thanks for your patient responses to my ramblings :)
Commodore
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 05:30:25 PM by The Commodore »

shunt12

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 07:45:44 AM »
I would say imagine graspers as slightly short, more human-looking wookies, while the ab-locks from Jago are basically humanity subjected to a couple of million years living above ground in a post-atomic wasteland (filthy mutants!).  Ab-locks resemble large leathery-skinned ape like creatures, with long powerful arms and hands.

Graspers' faces do tend towards the slightly mole-like, including whiskers, mainly because they evolved underground in deep survival vaults following an asteroid strike and the long ensuing ice age that followed.

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 07:45:44 AM »