SFcrowsnest chat > Discuss books

Any good non-medieval European style fantasy novels?

(1/2) > >>

TalisFroer:
Does anyone have any recommendatios for decent non-medieval European style fantasy novels?

It all seems to be orc, dragons and the same old same old at the moment, but maybe I'm just feeling jaded?

TF

:(

RJ:
C.J. Cherryh's 'Morgaine Chronicles'.  Sort of between fantasy and SF but entirely wonderful.

Wardly:
That sounds interesting, I've read some of her hard(ish) SF books like Downbelow Station and Cyteen in the Alliance-Union universe.

There seems to be a bit of a trend at the moment for fantasy/SF hybrids (not that I mind, although I get the feeling some hardcore fans do).

RJ:
They are worth tracking down but I don't know if they're still in print.  I've not seen them in bookshops for a long time.  They're also quite bleak but I really enjoyed them as there's a lot going on below the text. 

andyw1691:
Just to resurrect another old thread, have you read Faerie Tale by Raymond E Feist? It is a very good fantasy story set in the modern time.

Yarrow by Charles De Lint is also another interesting read. It is one of the few paperback books I have retained to read again at some point.

Andy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version