SFcrowsnest chat > Discuss books

Any good non-medieval European style fantasy novels?

(1/2) > >>

Does anyone have any recommendatios for decent non-medieval European style fantasy novels?

It all seems to be orc, dragons and the same old same old at the moment, but maybe I'm just feeling jaded?

C.J. Cherryh's 'Morgaine Chronicles'.  Sort of between fantasy and SF but entirely wonderful.

That sounds interesting, I've read some of her hard(ish) SF books like Downbelow Station and Cyteen in the Alliance-Union universe.

There seems to be a bit of a trend at the moment for fantasy/SF hybrids (not that I mind, although I get the feeling some hardcore fans do).

They are worth tracking down but I don't know if they're still in print.  I've not seen them in bookshops for a long time.  They're also quite bleak but I really enjoyed them as there's a lot going on below the text. 

Just to resurrect another old thread, have you read Faerie Tale by Raymond E Feist? It is a very good fantasy story set in the modern time.

Yarrow by Charles De Lint is also another interesting read. It is one of the few paperback books I have retained to read again at some point.

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version