Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: Last Trek movie  (Read 4862 times)

Bob Lane

• View Profile
Last Trek movie
« on: March 20, 2010, 02:35:08 AM »
I avoided the last Trek movie when it came out at the cinema, but it is now on for £3 used at my local Blockbusters.

Worth the money or not?

RJ

• Feckless adventurer.
    • View Profile
Re: Last Trek movie
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 11:14:06 AM »
Depends.  If, like me, you always found Star Trek (TNG, anyway) a bit full of new agey do-gooders and wished they'd just let loose with the phasers then yes it is.

If you want it more about finding diplomatic solutions and alien hugging then maybe not.

Singer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 12:00:27 PM »
There was a very insightful piece in, I think, Locus, where the concerns of the movie's plot was basically compared to that of a teenage American kid... aka getting laid at college (Star Fleet Academy) and beaten up by big gnarly guys with muscles and tattoos (the reworked Romulans).

It made me laugh, anyway.

I liked the movie though.

It was a bit too much a scene setter for anyone who knew shit about Trek though. The next movie should just jump right in without havingto introduce new Kirk, new Spock etc.

Harry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 05:26:41 PM »
I for one, did not care for it! And I am a big SF fan. I felt that this reimagining of the series totally RUINED IT! They could have gone with something else, but to create a possible temporal paradox just seemed to be bad news. Add to it the idea of Kirk getting command after only three years of time at the academy just didn't work for me.

Vinxlady

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 08:49:32 AM »
I am totally the opposite to Harry. I loved the way they did the new Trek movie. It's light-hearted and sure, most of us don't need the intro to the characters, but it was all handled well. I was a bit concerned over some of the casting initially but now I think they got it spot on, I only realised just how good the casting is when I went back recently and watched Star Trek 1-4.

It's also great for newcomers to the series, I think that part of the reason they took the trouble to introduce everyone again was so that a new generation of people could enjoy it. Scifi is becoming more and more popular in the cinema and if they have to make it a little simpler than some of the hardcore fans like then so be it. It gets more people interested in the genre and from such simple beginnings I hope that some of them will go on to enjoy some of the more complex and rewarding scifi that's out there.

I loved it, and have watched it at least 3 or 4 times without losing any of that enjoyment. For £3 I think it is a bargain.

Vinx

akb1979

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 05:42:12 AM »
I for one, did not care for it! And I am a big SF fan. I felt that this reimagining of the series totally RUINED IT! They could have gone with something else, but to create a possible temporal paradox just seemed to be bad news. Add to it the idea of Kirk getting command after only three years of time at the academy just didn't work for me.

Yeah...this film was full of holes, so full it hurt.  As a stand-alone film it's OK but I'm really hoping that they don't pursue another film along this route...actors were all good (not sure about the guy who played Scotty or how they portrayed Chekov (guy got on my nerves)) but the way they just pissed on most thinks Trek...meh.

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 04:29:14 AM »
Hello everyone

I tend to see the new Star Trek film as a pocket universe thing. Its like all the book tie-ins can be ignored as being outside of studio continuity. Hell, even George Lucas said as much about the tie-ins to his own Star Wars reality.

No doubt, some film down the line, they'll merge the two Star Trek realities together than keep them apart.

It's a backward step.

The real problem with all the Star Trek series after the orginal series is that they lived the Roddenberry Dream of integrated society getting more worlds in on it. Logistically, it would have made more sense had they strived towards than actually getting to a state where getting drama to work was getting progressively difficult.

Geoff

Harry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 11:02:44 AM »
As far as a merger, you can  forget it. The current producers not only have no plans to merge the two universes, but they have already announced that they want to do a remarke of Wrath of Khan for the next movie!

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
Hello Harry

I never said it would be the next Trek film. They can repeat old plots ad nasteum and just say its a new take rather than a contradiction of the old stories.

Geoff

Graleth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 05:19:26 PM »
Hi Harry and the gang,
                              Where did you hear that about Wrath of Khan remake ? Not a good idea. If they want a new start, fine, a new direction,ok. People and especially the fans, want new stuff, not rehashed old stuff. There are loads of star trek books out there to pick from, so go ahead and be creative, not boring.

Regards all,

Graleth

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 01:10:01 PM »
I doubt that. If they want to use Kahn then it would make more sense to go back to Space Seed.

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 01:10:01 PM »