Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: the Tomorrow Project  (Read 1029 times)

andyw1691

• View Profile
the Tomorrow Project
« on: January 25, 2012, 05:57:44 AM »
This is a collection of four short stories which attempt to project what impacts current or expected technologies will have on us in the future. The first story Last Day of Work by Douglas Rushkoff goes the furthest into the future. It deals with how mankind guided technology development up to and past the point where technology guided mankind's development to be come a feedback loop. Its an interesting idea that the development of one can effect the development of the other, that then effects the development of the original. Its ironic that there's a typo in the second sentence of this story. Was it put there by the humans or the technology?

The second story is The Mercy Dash by Ray Hammond. This is really just a vehicle to showcase possible and in some cases very possible future technology. It is well written and the Virtual Assistants are probably not to far away.

I'm not quite sure about the third story, The Drop by Scarlett Thomas. Mind control of devices is certainly a possibility but I do hope that the author is wrong about reality TV shows being the number 1 form of entertainment. Especially when just about every family could be put up for viewing.

It was the last story The Blink of an Eye by Markus Heitz that caught my attention. I think this could be very near the truth in 10 years time. It covers what happens when you install a lot of sensors in your house and connect them to a virtual assistant. Quite spooky, but perfectly believable.

You can download the stories from http://newsroom.intel.com/docs/DOC-1490

Andy

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

the Tomorrow Project
« on: January 25, 2012, 05:57:44 AM »