Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: Got game?  (Read 2081 times)

TalisFroer

• View Profile
Got game?
« on: March 06, 2010, 03:49:45 AM »
Anybody played any good MMOGs recently?

Looking for something fantasy or scifi based, really.

How about a games forum on the chat boards?

TF

???

Iggster

• View Profile
Re: Got game?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 05:56:02 AM »
The last one I played was Lord of the Rings, but it just took over my life and I was wasting all my free time on quests and in-game.

You have to hold onto a real life too if you want to stay sane.

Anyone recommend any MMOGs that don't require you to be inside them 24 x 7?

Iggy

Marc the Noggin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 06:07:54 AM »
I stopped playing these when they went all Quake on our ass with 3D rendering.

If there were any decent simple strategy games - not the farming rubbish pushed by FaceBook - I'd give it a go.

???

R Taylor

• I am part of the 67th Imperial's Own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 10:49:26 AM »
I tried that farming game on FaceBook, but it became obvious you had to pay to get ahead. Paying for a virtual tractor? Get out of here...

Petey Boxcar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 01:36:13 PM »
I'm looking for a decent SF MMOG too, but I'd like it be free ideally, if there is such a thing.

PB

Cheesy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 06:37:45 AM »
I'm just waiting for the new Star Wars MMO to come out, after that, goodbye social life

Alizarin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 05:58:48 AM »
I recently played the Star Trek Online beta, that was fun (once I got the hang of navigating in space). Unlike EVE you get to be a person on the ground as well as a space ship in space.

I was really looking forward to Stargate Worlds but that sadly went down the pan.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is due in about a year, signed for beta but heard nothing on that yet.

I've played betas for so many F2P games that I can't even remember most of them. The ones that stayed on my computer after release and get patched in times of boredom are Requiem, Dungeons & Dragons Online and Runes of Magic.

Chronicles of Spellborn sticks in my mind because although it was touted as F2P, once you got to level 7 you needed to pay to get any higher. It's apparently being re-developed to be supported by micro-transactions since the original devs went bankrupt. Hopefully it works for them this time, because it was a very pretty game.

The only ones I regularly log into are Guild Wars and WoW.

akb1979

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 01:02:32 PM »
Eve On-line.

I've been playing it for coming up to four years now and I'm not bored.  Yes it might take a bit of getting used to and understanding everything but that's part of the appeal - it's one giant sandbox of 50,000 star systems (and pretty much as many "real" players (not counting multiple accounts) - you can do anything.  I have followed to manufacturing route and regularly mine and supply the markets with goods.

The main bonuses for me are:

the the other players - they're all a friendly bunch
you're character is learning skills while you're off-line (provided your account is paid for - no freebies) so you don't have to play 23/7 (one hour maintenance per day
regular updates each year (the guys at CCP really are involved in their product and their customers - Eve Fanfest for example)

I'd list more but then that would spoil your fun of the experience...and I'm running away to play it! ;D

Also, being a Star Wars fan, I plan to check that game out...videos of the Star Trek testing seemed a little dull...mass fleet battles - can get that in Eve and it's more in-depth...so I'll let STO grow for a while before checking it out.

Manjames

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 02:47:51 AM »
Eve Online sounds good, will have to give it a look-over.

Seen the box-set in my local game shop too.

Aether

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 03:19:51 AM »
There are a few sci-fi mmo's in development at the moment, Alizarin already mentioned Star Wars: The old republic, another which I've had my eye on for a while is called Earthrise, it's post apocalyptic rather than spaceships but I love all that myself!  Signed up for beta a long time ago but won't be f2p.  World of Darkness is also something different, that's currently in development, so for lovers of White Wolf and Vampire pnp RPG's it may well be pretty fantastic!  It certainly looks like it will be.  Anime lovers may find their thing in Shin Megami Tensei (Megaten for short), we're talking post apocalyptic Japan with demons here!  It's based on a series of the same name.  Megaten is f2p whereas World of Darkness won't be.

Fallen Earth is a subscription MMOFPS, I haven't tried this one myself as FPS + women rarely mix successfully!  The Secret World may also be one to keep and eye on.

I know there are more, but these are the ones that come to mind as I type.  As for me?  I continue my long love affair with World of Warcraft. :)

Alizarin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 04:31:33 AM »
I tried Warhammer last week...it's an ugly game. Also the EU site doesn't like working in Firefox  >:(

More GW2 news recently, I wish they'd hurry up with a beta!!

Blizz released more Cataclysm info yesterday as well...I'm completely split, half of me is really excited for the new stuff but the other half will be sad to see so many things gone forever.

OH and LotR is going free to play in a couple of months!

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 04:31:33 AM »