Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: The Whole Series?  (Read 5174 times)

Scott J Robinson

• View Profile
    • Scott J Robinson
The Whole Series?
« on: February 22, 2012, 06:43:31 AM »
Hey everyone,

Here's a question for you...

Do you like to wait for a whole series to come out before you start reading? Or are you willing to wait years between volumes?

I generally like to know they are all available, even if I don't have them on my shelf. Though this doesn't always happen. I've started ready A Song of Ice and Fire but will now wait for the series to be complete. I gave up on Wheel of Time at number 5 and haven't gotten back to it yet (though I intend to).

Scott

andyw1691

• View Profile
Re: The Whole Series?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 09:02:58 AM »
Hi Scott,

Personally, I like to buy them as they are released. This is what I'm doing with the Beyond Armageddon series. It also gives me time to read something else while I'm waiting. However, some authors do take the Mickey. I remember reading the Elizabeth Moon's Vatta's War series.  These were published one a year from 2003 to 2008. I had to keep refreshing my memory as to what had happend in the previous novels  :)

Your comment about the Wheel of Time does highlight another problem though - the one of an untimely death of the author leaving a series unfinished. In the case of the Wheel of Time, I understand that Brendan Sanderson will be completing the series. With other less popular series it is not so certain that they would ever be completed.

Andy

Scott J Robinson

• View Profile
    • Scott J Robinson
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 04:23:52 PM »
Pretty sure Wheel of Time is already done, Andy.

I actually read the first book of that 5 time. And the 2nd book 4 times. And the 3rd book 3 times, and.... You get the picture. Every time a new one came out I went back and started the series again.

And apparently the 6th book is the book that everyone agrees was the start of the low patch for the series. I'll find out one day.

Scott

andyw1691

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 08:30:01 AM »
Hi Scott,

There is a post in one of the Crows Nest forums that states that the final books in the Wheel of Time series is being prepared for publication about now!

http://sfcrowsnest.net/index.php?topic=1893.msg2671#new

I think it must be number 14 in the series.

Andy

Scott J Robinson

• View Profile
    • Scott J Robinson
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 03:50:17 PM »
Well, there you go.

Even if I started reading now it would be years before I got that far anyway :)

Scott

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 03:50:17 PM »