Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: For years the SFWA have been a laughingstock!!!  (Read 2422 times)

Gwyn Dolinar

• View Profile
For years the SFWA have been a laughingstock!!!
« on: March 04, 2012, 05:19:23 AM »
This is addressed at SFWA too, in spades.  For years you’ve been a laughingstock.  While distributors and stocking to the numbers and collusion between agents and publishing houses destroyed the mid list you kept quiet.  For years, your only usefulness was a directory that allowed us to find each other.  YOU LET publishers get away with possibly illegal exclusivity clauses that screwed writers to the wall.  YOU ignored what are in most cases blatantly cooked statements.   But IPG is the hill you want to die on?  IPG who wants to screw writers so it can survive a few more years?    Then die.  This is a case of right-to-die I’m 100% behind.  You’ve proved you can commit suicide and you don’t need assistance.

http://accordingtohoyt.com/2012/03/01/good-author-heres-a-fish/

andyw1691

• View Profile
Re: For years the SFWA have been a laughingstock!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 06:46:41 AM »
This is an excellent rant about something you obviously feel very passionate about. It didn't make a lot of sense to me as I'm a mere reader and quite naive about what goes on behind the scenes to bring an e-book offering to a web site. However, I took the time to read the rather long article that you linked to and I still don't know what SFWA is.

It seems we are at a halfway house with ebooks now well established as a medium alongside traditional paper. Unfortunately the commercial practices that evolved to serve paper books don't suite ebooks. There are going to be some winners and losers but I can see the traditional distributers and publishers desperately trying to make some money out of ebooks.

Andy

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

Re: For years the SFWA have been a laughingstock!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 06:46:41 AM »