Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: Pleased to meet you all  (Read 1751 times)

Vinxlady

• View Profile
Pleased to meet you all
« on: March 31, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »
Hi all, pleased to meet you!

It's pretty exciting to come across this forum so early on in its life, before there are thousands and thousands of people who seem to have known each other forever.

The introduction is always the hard part I find but as this is a scifi/fantasy/horror kind of place I'll just mention some of my favourites in those genres that I've read over the last year or so:

Redemption Ark by Alastair Reynolds
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Kingdom Beneath the Waves by Stephen Hunt (not that you need to be told that round here)
The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by G. W. Dahlquist (I've got The Dark Volume waiting to be read and can't wait to get stuck in!)
Weaveworld by Clive Barker
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Thank you so very much to the random man in Leamington Spa library who told me I should read this!)
Spirit or The Princess of Bois Dormant by Gwyneth Jones (which I see has made the Arthur C Clarke award shortlist)
The Girl with the Glass Feet by Ali Shaw (this doesn't feel like you're reading fantasy but there is a woman turning to glass so I'm including it here anyway)
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (which shouldn't be dismissed just because it is a children's book)

I read a lot of non-SF/fantasy/horror novels too and am enjoying the mental challenge of physics in 'Why Does E=MC2?' by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw at the moment.

I'm also always looking for recommendations so I hope that some of you will be able to point me in the direction of some fantastic fiction :-)

Tata for now,

Vinxlady

Manjames

• View Profile
Re: Pleased to meet you all
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 02:56:16 AM »
Why Does E=MC2?

Wow - that sounds like some serious reading.

Just finished the last Joe Abercrombie novel - great fun, if you like a fantasy series with more blood than spells!

His work reminds me a lot of Stephen Hunt's novels, but more dark humour and less world-building/imagination.

You might also want to try The Red Wolf Conspiracy, nautical fantasy weirdness!

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

Re: Pleased to meet you all
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 02:56:16 AM »