Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: Doctor Who - the 2010 season  (Read 7594 times)

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Doctor Who - the 2010 season
« on: April 03, 2010, 01:31:14 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen

Be careful with spoilers as undoubtedly there will be many around the world who haven’t seen the latest ‘Doctor Who’ series.

Who la-lah!

David who?? Matt Smith has made a brilliant introduction to the next regeneration.

The chemistry with his new companion, Amy Pond (played by Karen Gillian), is going to have some sparks flying.

As a practicing diabetic, I can’t confirm the combination of custard and fish fingers is ever going to be a good diet option but I can see a lot of fans wanting to give it a try. Make sure the fingers are really crispy.

This season has got off to a promising start.

Geoff

RJ

• Feckless adventurer.
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor Who - the 2010 season
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 03:08:17 PM »
I really liked Matt Smith.  I loved Ecclestone but wasn't a big fan of DT as it all went a bit jokey for me.  MS seems to have a bit of a darker edge.

Kingmaker

• Kill all Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 01:55:54 AM »
It was better than I thought it would be.

Maybe I was just distracted by the sight of Ms Pond's legs in a policewoman's outfit.

Blimey, the skirts have got a little shorter than I recall, I thought, as she appeared in frame the first time.

A good intro ep. The other ones trailed, esp, the WW2 one with the daleks and the Dan Dare spaceship look great.

Looking forward to the new Who now.

RJ

• Feckless adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 05:55:05 AM »
I can't wait for the Daleks.  You just can't go wrong with Daleks.  Well.  I say that but if I met one things would probably go wrong for me very quickly.

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 12:52:11 PM »
Hello RJ

If you're bigger than 5ft 8, you would tower over the original Daleks. I was surprised by that when I saw one once.

Geoff

RJ

• Feckless adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 07:43:08 AM »
A friend of mine worked on the new Daleks while Ecclestone was DW so I got to see them quite early on.  I still wish they'd done the 'Spider Dalek' as it looked great.

Stay Slade

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 04:37:33 AM »
Spider Daleks, now them I would pay to see!

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 01:25:30 PM »
Evening all

The second Doctor Who episode.

Space-whales aren't new. I wonder if Steven Moffitt is an X-Men fan cos they were used in the early Brood stories and if comicbooks had them then they had to appear much earlier than them as well.

Someone really must give Sophie Okonedo her own series. She rocks.

As a second episode, they're just settling in but it looks like this Doctor can make mistakes. About time, too.

Geoff

Tashia Howk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 08:13:14 AM »
I believe there was a short series in the US-based Epic magazine format comic-book anthology about hunting space whales in a living tree-like starship.

More Moby Dick than Doctor Who, of course.

I liked the Queen in the last doctor who. She should be our monarch, then she could shoot Brown!

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 09:06:21 AM »
Hello Tashia

You were doing fine until the Brown proposal.

Do you really want a PR man running the UK??

Geoff

Tashia Howk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 09:17:04 AM »
Two words...

(1) Tony

(2) Blair

!!

RJ

• Feckless adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 10:00:19 AM »
Spider Daleks, now them I would pay to see!

I can't find the footage on youtube anymore.  The skirt unfolded into legs and I thought it looked great, it was for The Paul Mcgann film I think but never used. 

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 12:30:06 PM »
Tony Blair was a barrister. At least he had a serious job and I don't think he wore a skirt, RJ.

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 01:10:44 PM »
Doctor Who Episode 3: 17.04.2010

Gut-reaction. Be careful of spoilers if you haven’t seen it yet.

There really must be a limit to how much they can change the Daleks and still make them an effective menace. Surely their sensors could tell jammy dodgers don’t have any mechanical parts.

The new Daleks look like smarties, coming in all flavours ready for a new merchandise sweep.

If anything, the Daleks need to be more schemer than they have done in the past but I suspect that single episode stories aren’t likely to let that happen.

One very obvious glitch in this episode is that even if the Daleks turned on all the lights in London, every place with windows would have been covered with drapes so little light would have shown. Maybe it would have lacked dramatics but it is a flaw.

I’m a little more undecided and unsettled about this episode than the others. Too often when Doctor Who mixes history and Science Fiction, it tends to be careful about historic figures. Even with Marco Polo back in the 60s, they were careful not to reveal their origins.

If Churchill knew about the Doctor then he would have to be aware of Torchwood and at least have them as advisors. Granted there was probably a desire not to complicate things too much in one episode but the complication already exists, not to mention the possibility of the Doctor crossing his own time-line. Then again, that might explain why he was a month late.

Geoff

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 12:40:59 PM »
Doctor Who Episode 4: The Time Of Angels Part 1

Impressions, not spoilers.

I wish they’d remember the TARDIS is not a spaceship. If it can step out of space then it can appear anywhere.

Alex Kingston as River Song is hot. She really ought to have a spin-off series.

The Weeping Angels shouldn’t be seen as the last of their species. There are very few species out there who have the ability to time travel so any species can be encountered again.

You’ll never want sand in your eye again.

Steven Moffitt has got a classic Who monster on his hands here. A great start to a great two-parter.

Geoff

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 12:40:59 PM »