Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: Doctor Who - the 2010 season  (Read 8174 times)

Vinxlady

• View Profile
Re: Doctor Who - the 2010 season
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 10:10:33 AM »
I'm pretty impressed with Matt Smith as the new doctor, I know a lot of people had reservations about someone so young portraying him, but I think that he was a good choice - commanding presence, not quite as manic as DT and a good dose of quirkiness that I think is vital. I also really like the way the relationship between the doctor and his new companion (Amy Pond) is shaping up. There seems to have been a shift to a state where it isn't always the doctor who has to save the day, a bit more evidence that he is fallible and that us puny humans can come up with a good idea or two on our own which plays out nicely in the relationship between Amy and the doctor.

I hadn't come across space whales before so this was new to me and I did enjoy that episode. Sophie Okonedo, as mentioned earlier in this thread, was excellent, and the puppet-like creatures were quite sinister (though I'm still not entirely sure what they were or how they developed). I was a little distracted by the appearance of the demon headmaster (from a creepy children's tv show in the 1990s) in the control room and I think that regardless or not of whether I'd volunteered for a job, after I'd been treated like that I'd have been off like a shot!

Regarding the daleks, I thought the white one that appeared first looked spectacular - updated but still very much the same creature (?) in essence and definitely recognisable. I remain unconvinced about orange and red daleks though, it has a feel of Ikea about it.

I'm immensely glad that they brought back the weeping angels! I maintain that of the new series' the scariest episode is still Blink (though I also highly rate those featuring John Simm as the master) which had everyone who watched it looking suspiciously at stone carvings for weeks afterwards. It was a genuinely scary concept - an alien you can't see coming and looks just like a pretty piece of ornamentation when you do look. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the concluding part of this 2-parter next weekend.

River Song is an intriguing character and Alex Kingston must have had such fun playing her. The idea of the doctor getting married is totally counter-intuitive and I really hope they show a little more of the development of their relationship as I'm sure it will be very entertaining. Didn't we leave a daughter (albeit a cloned one) off flying round the galaxy sometime last season too? That could be another character it would be interesting to see more of.

All in all the new series so far has impressed, but I'd like to see it developing some more scary episodes which I'd hoped for with Stephen Moffat taking the helm. I know it is in a prime time tv slot so can't get too graphic but I think that a lot of frightening or sinister things could be included without overstepping the watershed problem - the weeping angels being a prime example.

I look forward to watching the rest of the series!

Vinxlady

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 12:45:27 PM »
Doctor Who Episode 5: Flesh And Stone

Everything’s a spoiler in this episode although the crack in time is likely to come up all the time so I’m not going to say much again. Keep your eyes wide open.

What is a concern is the introduction of the reset button where past events can be forgotten or even taken out of continuity. I doubt if Moffitt will not take that into account considering how much SF problem-solving is employed so there has to be an element of trust here.

The Doctor is becoming less omnipotent which is good because that was one serious problem with Russell T. Davies’ tenure. Characters are stronger when they have to face serious problems.

As to this second part. Interesting. It uses all the elements that were laid out in the first episode. If they are to have a future then the Weeping Angels are going to need some sustainable objective other than obliterate everything which essentially means finding out more about their back history. Are they a silicon life-form??

Excuse me now. I have to go out for a bite in Venice.

Geoff

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 04:06:11 PM »
Doctor Who Episode 6: The Vampires Of Menace

A fishy take on vampires that you’ll know when you see this episode and haven’t so far.

Interestingly, the Doctor takes point with this story and jumps along with Amy’s life. If it keeps up with this rate, this companion will only last a season. Not a spoiler, cos I don’t know, just an observation. A lot depends on the under-story with the cracks in the space-time continuum which could spring back if they get sorted.

As to the story. On reflection about the plot, it’s a variant of the Pompeii story. A dying species wanting to take advantage of humanity but falls foul to the Doctor. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of permutations within the format.

The characterisations are developing nicely and Matt Smith is handling the role nicely.

The villains are there really to serve their villainy. If there’s a need for development then they must surely have some needs other than race survival and the extermination of others which is becoming too much of a requisite. Considering how producer/writer Steven Moffitt is developing things and hinting that he’s moving away from too much running around, presumably to get more plot in so as not to surprise the reader when it happens, I suspect he realises this as well. Expect surprises, folks.

Considering they ended up using a standard infiltration plot and knew they were doing it means they could turn the tropes upside down.

Geoff

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 01:40:33 PM »
Doctor Who Episode 7: Amy’s Choice

This story is probably the most cerebral of the new Who although with a too sensible answer given the circumstances and me avoiding a spoiler. It’s certainly mind games.

It can best be described as the attack of the OAPs thought and even in the Confidentail producer Steven Moffat thinks that it might spook some people. Hopefully, no kids will want to try this at home.

I’m not entirely convinced that the Dream Lord is a dangerous villain but maybe he’s far too subtle for that. The ordinary village with dangerous villagers is nothing new where I live but then we don’t flip between there and the TARDIS neither.

Probably not the strongest episode but I think this is more character-orientated than usual.

Geoff

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 01:38:33 PM »
Doctor Who Episode 8: The Hungry Earth Part 1

Another tribe of Silurians or Eonians (if I’ve spelt the word as the Doctor pronounced them). Nice design although it’s a puzzle that the budget didn’t run to contact lenses or even CGI effecting lizard eyes.

Makes you wonder why they stayed underground for so long before a little drill noise made them come to the surface.

A lot of this story is build-up. Actress Merra Syal would make a great companion but then so do all inquisitive adults in this series. Not a bad comment against Karen Gillan but some actresses electrify the set.

I like Matt Smith’s depiction of the Doctor. Reassuring rescue when he’s not sure how shows an interesting vulnerability although it beggars the question how he can scare other alien species with words. There has to be something else going on here.

Watch out for any potholes for the next week.

Geoff

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2010, 02:12:41 PM »
Doctor Who Episode 9:Cold Blood part 2

Not sure if the Doctor had it right that if the humans and silurians came to a peaceful settlement that it wouldn’t a significant event, especially as the elder was promising so much in exchange for territory.

Elements of this came over a bit too goody-goody. I mean, are humans that peaceful? Have the silurians been living in a cave or something. Hmmm...probably they have come to that.

There’s obviously bound to be a sequel a thousand years into the future.

Let’s end these thoughts on a significant idea: What if the silurians one day become the Draconians.

Geoff
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 01:36:18 PM by Geoff the head Uncle »

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 01:36:38 PM »
Doctor Who Episode 9: Vincent And The Doctor

At the rate the Doctor is meeting famous people in the past, he’s going to be meeting people in the present or past 50 years cos technically they are always stuck in a past time.

I tend to watch the historical episodes with a bit of trepidation but in the past decade they’ve also shown a marked sensitivity to the subject and Richard Curtis’ script here certain illustrates an emotional content demonstration that other scriptwriters will also take note of.

I wasn’t really sure if the creature was that intimidating this time around. It was interesting that Vincent Van Gogh was actually acting like Don Quixote attacking the invisible dragon though.

It’s also interesting to note that the Doctor is beginning to feel his age. I wonder how long before the device he was using ends up as a bit of merchandise? Considering he’s never had to use a Hitchhiker’s Guidebook gadget before, is this a further recognition of his age catching up with him?

Finally, watching the Confidential piece afterwards, you would have thought it would have been cheaper to put the production crew and stuff in the TARDIS and transit to Croatia than mess around with those road things.

Geoff

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 01:43:18 PM »
Doctor Who Episode 11: The Lodger

It looks like Steven Moffat is encouraging his writers to really play with time travel in their stories.

Matt Smith’s portrayal of the Doctor is something akin to an old-fashioned country doctor with a dash of psychologist about it. It’s amazing how much detail the production team went into creating this new sport called football for the show. ‘Course, it’ll never catch on, far too girlie and far too silly even if it’s based on the Gaelic football which actually uses sticks.

Smith shows a natural flair for comedy with his timing and after his tenure on the show, someone should really snap him up for a sit-com.

Methinks sonic toothbrushes to be the next Who merchandise. I have one already.

The episode itself?? Great fun. Who wouldn’t want the Doctor as a lodger?

Geoff
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 01:35:15 PM by Geoff the head Uncle »

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2010, 01:36:03 PM »
Doctor Who Episode 12: The Pandorican Opening part 1

Loved the opening, linking many of the earlier stories into this one. Even better, River Song is back and rules, Sweetie.

The use of Stonehenge should be a reminder to the British Coalition Government why a proper tourist centre is needed in Wiltshire.

Since when were the Draconians enemies of the Doctor unless that hasn’t happened yet? Then again, why do all of the Doctor’s chief villains seem to have access to time travel these days?

Is it just me or is Matt Smith channelling Patrick Troughton occasionally.

This is not a spoiler but something I ended up speculating upon watching this episode: What if River Song is actually Amy Pond? Consider that River’s time-line is going in reverse to the Doctor’s time-line so when does she get the chance to learn how to navigate the TARDIS?
  The first thing I did was look at the ends for anagrams. Nope! The only letters that have in common is ‘on’ in their surnames. Probably wrong but it’s an interesting thought.

As to the finale. Oooh ‘eck! Should be a good one next week.

Geoff

AndyRenham

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2010, 05:04:53 AM »
I am really looking froward to seeing how the Doctor is going to get him out of that super-sized sin-bin all his enemies have just stuffed him inside.

Poor old Amy, she can't die can she?

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 01:11:03 PM »
Doctor Who Episode 12: The Big Bang part 2

When I first spotted the man putting the note through the young Amy Pond’s door, I thought the late Tommy Cooper had arrived in the Whoniverse. I suspect the fez will be the next fashionable Who-ware. That and having a TARDIS at weddings.

Rory Williams turns into the ultimate plastic boy-friend. Automatic merchandise. Be sure to pick up the one with the gun hand.

Steven Moffat loves his time travel stories. Is it really 31 series?

Did the Doctor’s enemies know what would happen to themselves when they put him in the Pandorican?

One thing that does puzzle me is with the universe’s recreation, did Amy also remember all the Doctor’s villains as well and were they reset? Logistically, I would say probably only because Amy instigates the memory that exists inside the Pandorican so putting most things back where they started. The real question now is does the Pandorican still exist and who made it?

Watching the Confidential programme about understanding the movement in time. I had no problem with that. Must be a me thing as I don’t see time travel as being complicated. After all, the universe is simple to understand. It’s what lives in it that tries to make it complicated.

Full season thoughts in next week’s SFC update.

Geoff

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 01:11:03 PM »