Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: Aerial Transmitter interference.  (Read 1052 times)

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Aerial Transmitter interference.
« on: November 07, 2013, 02:08:18 PM »
Hello all

This really applies only to what I've discovered in the UK but would like to know if any of you people reading this have had problems with your DVD recorders in the past year or so. if you've read up on the likes of Google, that the mobile phone  4G transmitters are the recognised culprits.

I've moved my aerial (in the attic makes it easier), especially as a few inches or feet difference I can be picking up three different TV transmitters. I've given silver foil protection to keep microwaves out. I've even got a slightly more expensive aerial booster with a working signal adjuster. All have worked for a short period of time before the problem comes back.

Much of the time, the signal messes up at different times of the day, specifically around the hour mark and will prevent recording. Often with the TV itself, the sound will go but if you have a Q.Menu, change the sound setting and back will sort that one out.
 The regular times would tie in with 4G usage and likely to be worse with 5G on the horizon.

I'm not entirely convinced the commercial filters will do much and reading the various reviews they don't appear to that effective.
  I put my thinking cap back on when my research this week pointed out that 4G uses the higher frequencies and that there is a crossing with the digital channels.
  Now although I use an LG DVD recorder, this should apply to other recorders. Look amongst your settings for one dealing with Frequency and see what it's set at. There should be two settings, approximating to 900 and 600. If it's on 900, switch it to 600 and test over the periods you have the most problems. This should take it below the 4G level.
   My first day and no obvious problems recording when in the past week I couldn't record anything. The problem could still come back but rather than give a few weeks before I said anything, it would be useful if any of you having a similar problem to try around the same time so there would be some up-to-date info.

If it works or doesn't, can you leave a message here please.

Thanks
Geoff

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

Aerial Transmitter interference.
« on: November 07, 2013, 02:08:18 PM »