Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: What's the world called?  (Read 3339 times)

Garsondee

• View Profile
What's the world called?
« on: April 08, 2010, 09:14:56 AM »
Forgive me if it's in one of the books and I've just forgotten... but it would be helpful for me to know what the world is called that the books are set in.

shunt12

• View Profile
    • Stephen Hunt Author's site
Re: What's the world called?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 01:14:01 AM »
It's actually Earth in the far future - but many millions of years... long enough for the maps to be totally changed by continental drift (the UK is part of the mainland again), and humanity to have evolved out into various sub-species, such as the craynarbians, graspers etc.

Where's its referenced in the novels, it's simply 'Earth'.

Garsondee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 09:58:26 AM »
Ahhhhhh! Oooooooo! Ummm - well that's helpful, because at some point I'd love to do a map. That's going to need a lot of thinking about of course.

shunt12

• View Profile
    • Stephen Hunt Author's site
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 01:31:09 PM »
Yes, a lot of readers have asked for a map. I have a rough idea where all the nations are, but I avoided doing a detailed map for myself because it seemed a little too Role Playing Game-ish (although it seemed to work for JK Rowling).

Stephen

Garsondee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 10:29:37 AM »
I think the key to getting the map to look good would be to go in completely the opposite direction to J W Rowling and Terry Pratchet.

So instead of creating a quirky fun map which emphasises the fantasy elements you could instead create something else:

1.) You create a workman's map, something which simply lays out the continents and political boundaries.
2.) You go for grand over fantasy, something which is like an illuminated manuscript with caligraphy. The sort of map that a ruler might consult.
3.) My personal favorite idea is to create a map from the perspective of the Jack Cloudies. This might demonstrate where the major battles were fought between Middlesteel and it's surrounding neighbours, where long distance explorations were made (and the result of those endevours) as well as the locations of bases and trading partners.

As long as the map contains enough content to provide an interesting experience I'd say it was very well worth considering. If you ever get a chance to sketch out the locations of the different countries I'd love to have a go at mocking something up.

Evil Dentist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 04:54:01 AM »
I heard Stephen talking about this on one of the steampunk panels at Eastercon.

As he described the world, the map would be upside down as the magnetic poles had shifted, as well as the continents being rewritten.

He also mentioned as a part of the hidden backstory that the world had been 'swelled' to about five times its current size by injecting mass from other planets and hollowing part of the world out during an ancient period of geo-engineering to squeeze more real estate out of the world. As part of the same project, extra planets and moons had been imported into the solar system, hence the noted discrepencies between Sol and his universe.

He also mentioned having a nascent story-line which would involve Molly and the other friends at Tock House doing a 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth'-style adventure.

I can't wait to read that one!

It would all have to be accounted for in a map, tho, I guess.

Aether

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 02:50:09 AM »
Yes, a lot of readers have asked for a map. I have a rough idea where all the nations are, but I avoided doing a detailed map for myself because it seemed a little too Role Playing Game-ish (although it seemed to work for JK Rowling).

Stephen

RPG-ish = Good!  :P

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 02:50:09 AM »