Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: If the books became films, which director and why!  (Read 2168 times)

Garsondee

• View Profile
If the books became films, which director and why!
« on: April 08, 2010, 09:17:57 AM »
A simple enough question - who would you like to see as director for the books in a film adaptation.

Personally I'd love to see it done by Peter Jackson, because then you could rest assured that the battles would be epic and action packed.

shunt12

• View Profile
    • Stephen Hunt Author's site
Re: If the books became films, which director and why!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 01:38:02 AM »
That's a really good question.

Ultimately, you'd take anyone who came along with enough funding to do a good job of realising the world and plot to the extent to which it deserves, but that being said...

... here's some people whose sensibilities would probably be on the right wave-length:

The interesting thing is each of them would, I suspect, produce a very different film (or series of movies, if it hit the sweet spot with audiences).

- Tim Burton
His movie would be dark and encapsulate some of the more bat-shit ideas I've flown with. Alice was almost there in many ways, proto-steampunk and all that.

- Terry Gilliam
I suspect his movie would be quite close to Tim Burton's version of the Jackelian world. Dark, a little nuts. Brazil was almost there, right?

- Steven Spielberg
The glossy big budget version, lots of action at the end. Big battles. Who could say no to that?

- James Cameron
With his nice shiny 3D animated tech-thang, he could be all over the Court of the Air and the sequels like a Texas lizard on glass. His movie would be similar to Spielberg's, I think, although Steven - with his form on Schindler's List - might be able to squeeze a little more emotion out of it.

- George Lucas
Another really glossy big budget version. If he nailed it like Empire Strikes Back or Star Wars, it would be a major hit. If he lost the plot and human elements and fell in love with the SFX backdrop too much, the movie would be a turkey. That goes for any of these directors/producers, of course.

- Duncan Jones (aka Bowie)
I loved Moon, and I think he'd be able to do the job. I suspect he'd focus on the human elements of the book, and nail the dark Dickens-cyberpunk Middlesteel (ne London).

- Ridley Scott
His version of something like Court of the Air would be the bleakest, I suspect, with the most realistic cinematography. His version of my stream-driven Orwellian cities would prob. draw a few negative fan-boy comparisons to his cityscapes from Bladerunner, but given that the movie pitch for the books was 'Dickens meets Bladerunner', who else could do the job as well as the Riddler (as his friends like to call him)?

Now, LOTS of people have said that the Court of the Air, Kingdom Beyond the Waves, Rise of the Iron Moon, and Secrets of the Fire Sea would make fabulous anime movies, and there's a world of talent out there in Japan who could do the books justice. Hayao Miyazaki would be an obvious choice, although anyone from Studio Ghibli (or Kabushiki-kaisha Sutajio Jiburi as I like to call it (株式会社スタジオジブリ should be able to make a decent stab at turning the novels into films.

Well, that's my two-penneth on the subject. Anyone else for anyone else?

Stephen

www.StephenHunt.net
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 01:52:49 AM by shunt12 »

Stay Slade

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 04:35:08 AM »
If you want to film The Court of the Air or any of the other books in the Jackelian series, I'd suggest Danny Boyle - he did a stand-up job with 28 Days Later.

Just so long as he could handle the much larger budget it would take to do these justice.

Machy54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 07:59:36 AM »
Peter Jackson would be very interesting as a choice to make The Court of the Air into a movie.

I feel his style of film making would be better suited to your book four, Secrets of the Fire Sea, but would want to start with book 1 anyway if your publisher HarperCollins has anything to say in the matter.

He also has the rights for Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, a historical fantasy series set in the Napoleonic era, much like your own earlier work, For The Crown and the Dragon.

For this reason I suspect he wouldn't go for your books at the moment, for clash of interest reasons.

He doesn't seem to have done much with the Temeraire books yet either.

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 07:59:36 AM »