Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: 2010 Eastercon  (Read 3843 times)

Minty

• View Profile
2010 Eastercon
« on: March 06, 2010, 01:49:22 PM »
Anyone planning to go to the 2010 Eastercon?

Singer

• View Profile
Re: 2010 Eastercon
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 01:59:25 PM »
I gave up on Eastercons a long time ago.

Nobody is friendly, everyone is part of a clique.

Rubbish.

K_rider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 01:56:09 PM »
I live in the US, so unless they pay for my flights....

LetmeOut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 01:09:37 PM »
I would love to go but one of my sisters is giving birth that weekend (hopefully), so will have to pass this time.

Pity, maybe next year depending on location (I love London, so easy to get to).

shrdlu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 10:47:01 AM »
Yes I'll be there. Is there anything you want to know about Eastercons?

Wardly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:48:52 AM »
Well, I have never been to one. Any good? What kind of things go on at them?

shrdlu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 12:55:07 PM »
There's really at least two different events happening at the same time, sharing a hotel. One is a conference with panels, speakers and quiz games. The other is the annual reunion of the people that go to Eastercons. I generally go to see one or two programme items each day, the rest of the time I'm either in the bar or wandering around whichever town we find ourselves in. The latter is not really viable at Heathrow, there's bugger all to do in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. As someone has already pointed out, there are a lot of cliques at the Eastercon, people that have known each other for years. What isn't immediately obvious is that the cliques aren't closed and will usually accept anyone who happens to wander by. If there's an interesting conversation going on (invariably in the bar) then feel free to join in. Members wear name badges so that they can address complete strangers by name.

There are some areas where there is continuous programming on one topic. There are some people who go to the con and spend most of their time making costumes for the masquerade. There are others who spend all of their time playing role-playing or board games, including most of the night. Incidentally, the convention doesn't shut down when the programme ends. There are usually a few organised parties supporting future convention bids and some more smaller ones running in hotel rooms. They go on until the small hours though there are usually a few people still wandering around when the hotel opens for breakfast.

If you are the type of person who finds it difficult to introduce yourself to complete strangers then consider volunteering to help out. Warning: this can get addictive. I've been known to fly across the Atlantic to work on a convention. It's a good way to get to know people quickly.

whome?

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 08:48:37 PM »
Well...I went to two Eastercons, one at Blackpool and one at Hinckley in Leicestershire.

Now I'm probably not a good example, and if you're sociable and friendly, you should be ok. But I did find it difficult, and it wasn't that easy just going up and talking to people in the bar. It is rather cliquey, to be honest.

I also have friends who adore Eastercon, and the other UK conventions, and get on like a house on fire. But IMO it's better to go with a friend or partner, or else with an intro.

rubenjohnson

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 12:35:15 PM »
gaspodex is putting together a souvenir book for Odyssey 2010 and needs your photos. If you haven't done so yet, then please upload them to the Flickr Group ...

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 12:35:15 PM »