Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 6470 times)

Jackobyte

• View Profile
Hello everyone
« on: April 13, 2010, 01:01:38 PM »
It's taken me a while to get round to this, but now I'm here I look forward to chatting about my passion for all things SCI-FI with all you fellow cosmonauts!

Just to get started, here are some of my favourite SCI-FI books/films/TV etc. :-

• Classic author - Arthur C. Clarke/E.E. 'Doc' Smith
  • New authour - Alistair Reynolds/Neal Asher/Richard Morgan
  • Book - Hyperion by Dan Simmons
  • Film - Blade Runner
  • TV - Battlestar Galactica (New version)

Look forward to hearing from you all. Live long and prosper.

Wardly

• View Profile
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 03:09:18 AM »
Hi there Jackobyte.

Nice list and good to see you here.

Jackobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 01:14:17 PM »
Thanks Wardly  :)

Vinxlady

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Hey Jackobyte,

I also really like Alistair Reynolds (and Blade Runner, Hyperion and Battlestar Galactica incidentally) and would like to find some more authors that have a similar scope and theme to their works. I came to Reynolds from Iain M Banks, who I think shares the gigantic space opera stage pretty closely with Reynolds, but need someone new to read. Are Neal Asher and Richard Morgan similar in style? I've come across Asher books before though haven't yet tried any, and haven't heard of Richarrd Morgan before. Looking for proper future tech, universe-sized science fiction here...

Hope you're enjoying the forums,

Vinxlady

Jackobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 02:11:20 AM »
Hi Vinxlady,

Neal Asher is a must for space-opera fans with his Agent Cormac novels set in a vast galactic empire called the Polity - start with Gridlinked and you won't be dissapointed. Read 'Altered Carbon' by Richard Morgan where he introduces us to Takeshi Kovacs, an ultra-violent, future Jason Bourne who can change bodies (sleeving) by down-loading his conciousness into a cortical stack. It's part space-opera, part detective novel, but it moves at an incredible pace and has some pretty dark and intersting characters - highly recommended.

One other guy I'd recommend is Peter F. Hamilton who's Night's Dawn trilogy is pure space-opera on an epic scale - each book is the size of a bus.

Other recommendations include:

Charles Stross (Iron Sunrise)
Jack McDevitt (Slow Lightning)
Ken Macleod (Engines of Light trilogy)
Stephen Baxter (Xeelee sequence of books  - start with Raft)

All the best,
Jackobyte

Vinxlady

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 12:56:24 PM »
Thanks Jackobyte that's really helpful. I'm always on the lookout for new recommendations and it's great to get them from somebody who has clearly enjoyed some of the things I've enjoyed in the past.

I look forward to reading some of these!

Vinxlady

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 02:01:25 PM »
Hello Jackobytes

The real problem with Morgan's book series is that it never explained how he could recognise people in sleeves?? I raised that in the book reviews and a red-faced editor agreed with me.

Welcome aboard.

Geoff

Jackobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 09:30:22 AM »
Thanks Jackobyte that's really helpful. I'm always on the lookout for new recommendations and it's great to get them from somebody who has clearly enjoyed some of the things I've enjoyed in the past.

I look forward to reading some of these!

Vinxlady

No problem, Vinxlady.

I've just got hold of 'Seeds of Earth' by Michael Cobley which looks really interesting, so I'll let you know how it pans out.

ATB
Jackobyte

Jackobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 09:34:19 AM »
Hello Jackobytes

The real problem with Morgan's book series is that it never explained how he could recognise people in sleeves?? I raised that in the book reviews and a red-faced editor agreed with me.

Welcome aboard.

Geoff

Thanks, Geoff.

Vinxlady

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 09:28:48 AM »
Hey Jackobyte,

just a quick note to say thanks for the Altered Carbon recommendation - I just finished reading it and loved it. I found the world very easy to get sucked into and loved all the future tech ideas.

In response to an earlier comment from Geoff about recognising people in sleeves, I got the impression that you just don't recognise them. It would simply be a person's mannerisms and memories that distinguish them as the true person - hence why Kovacs could get away with impersonating the guy whose body he was in and why the families waiting for loved ones to be released can have them walk right past without even knowing it's them.

In a more technical manner, I presume that on death the identification would be done by analysis of the cortical stacks, though how this identifications would be obtained if these were destroyed is a bit more complicated (probably in the same way as highly damaged human remains are more difficult to identifiy). In a similar way I guess that there is some way of transmitting identity from cortical stack should it be needed to say, get a bank account or a passport.

I think that the anonymity of the sleeves is something that would appeal to celebrities too, making their choices of spare sleeves a good way to obtain privacy and so on.

Anyway, very much enjoyed this and will be checking out your other recommendations (and the others in this series) later on.

Vinx

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 12:51:18 PM »
Hello Vinx

The problem is that Kovacs did recognise people in new sleeves all the time with no indication how he did it.

Would you recognise someone mimicking someone else's mannerisms?? Amateurs who do it tend to exaggerate. Professional impersonators only get the public personna. You would need a lot of convincing that someone wasn't just pretending to be someone you knew in a new body let alone the real mccoy.

Most of the sleeves killed by Kovacs had a nasty habit of having their chips crushed.

Geoff

Jackobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 07:38:47 AM »
Hi Vinxlady,

I'm glad you enjoyed Altered Carbon and I'm sure you'll love the other books in the series. I've just finished Seeds Of Earth by Martin Cobley and I highly recommend it.

Geoff,

I know where you're coming from on the sleeve recognition angle, but it does'nt spoil what is a cracking story.

All the best,
Jackobyte.

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 04:34:32 AM »
Hello Jackobyte

I never said Altered Carbon wasn't readable just that considering all the other detail Morgan put in he made such a fatal flaw that he could have remedied in the rest of the book series.

Geoff

Kindred

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 08:37:46 AM »
I'm a pretty big fan of the sci-fi military novels these days...   the second book, "Broken Angels" was more Takeshi, but a different setting and a very different read. (I have yet to read the third book, Woken Furies)

if I recall correctly, Kovacs didn't just flat out recognize people... it either took some time or it was a remarkable person who he recognized (i.e. an overwhelming personality)

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 03:50:05 AM »
Hello Kindred

The point is he was able to recognise them at all without any enhancement.

It also didn't take any time for others to recognise him without any technology as well.

Its hardly like there's any visible surgery showing as you would have with a brain transplant.

Geoff

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 03:50:05 AM »