Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: Journey Into Space and other radio scifi  (Read 1909 times)

Vinxlady

• View Profile
Journey Into Space and other radio scifi
« on: April 19, 2010, 11:31:27 AM »
While I realise this isn't exactly movies or tv, there didn't seem to be a place to talk about scifi on the radio so I thought I'd put this here and if a moderator thinks there's a better place for it then I'm sure they'll move it.

I have a great fondness for the Journey Into Space radio serial from the 1950s. Having first discovered it on CD lurking on the shelves of my library I got a bit hooked and bought the rest of the three series that originally aired. The sound effects are wonderful (all orchestral sinister-ness), the characters very likeable (or suitably sinister for the nasty characters) and the stories are very entertaining. BBC6 have recently been airing another series by the same writer (Charles Chilton) called Space Force, which was originally aired in the 1980s, that I've been enjoying over the past couple of weeks too, though it's not quite as good as Journey Into Space (I think partly due to the shorter series length).

So, what I'd like to know is twofold - firstly are there any other Journey Into Space fans out there and secondly, can anyone tell me of any other good radio scifi shows that I might enjoy?

I'm aware of a couple of good serialisations of books for the radio (Hitchhiker's Guide for one, and The Brightonomicon was very well done too), and would happily take recommendations for good audio book readings too. I think my current favourite scifi/fantasy audiobook is Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys read by Lenny Henry.

Any ideas anyone?

Vinx

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Journey Into Space and other radio scifi
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 05:21:32 AM »
Hello Vinx

You might want to check out the Spaceship Away' magazine which has been running Charles Chilton's 'Journey Into Space' in recent years.

Geoff

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

Re: Journey Into Space and other radio scifi
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 05:21:32 AM »