Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Poll

So when do you buy the new Avatar DVD??

Can't wait to get it.
Wait until the price drops.
Wait until the Special Edition with all the extras.
Saw it at the movies.

Author Topic: So when do you buy the new Avatar DVD??  (Read 2330 times)

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
So when do you buy the new Avatar DVD??
« on: April 25, 2010, 05:36:24 AM »
Do you find it infuriating that you buy the DVD of a film and then months later out pops a director's cut or one with extras that mean you have to buy it again. What do you do?

Have a go at this survey and voice your opinion.

Geoff

Vinxlady

• View Profile
Re: So when do you buy the new Avatar DVD??
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 09:52:08 AM »
Of all the movies I own on dvd, whether special edition or otherwise, the amount of times I watch the extras is very limited. I just want a film to entertain for a couple of hours and usually that's where I leave it. Once or twice I've enjoyed extras but I think the majority remain unwatched.

With regard to Avatar in particular, I did go and see this at the cinema but really only to get the supposedly magical 3D effects in a film that set out to sell itself as a 3D spectacle. It holds limited appeal as a film without that (though I did enjoy it) and to be entirely honest I still maintain that the most spectacular piece of 3D I saw when I went to see advert was the Courvoisier advert with the shattering glass that preceded the movie!

Vinxlady

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 01:27:16 PM »
Hello Vinx

I was dragged sceaming into the flat screen era when my TV got bad reception - turned out to be mostly transmitter problems.

Anyway, I pulled as LG plasma TV - as cheap as the LCD version - and it has a weird effect of making even the old films look 3Dish. I think its something to do with the software though as apart from a decent screen, its probably anti-aliasing the diagonals and the compensation is dimensionalising.

I might only watch the extras once or maybe twice, if its a research issue, but I'd like to have the choice with the first wave than wait months.

Geoff

Graleth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 04:48:17 PM »
Hi gang,
           When its in 3D format. Great special effects, but the aliens were portrayed too much like Native Americans. Bows and arrows were ok, but they sounded just like a war party before the big battle, corny. I hope they do better in Avatar 2 & 3.

Regards all,

Graleth

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 01:08:39 PM »
The news says they're going underwater. Cameron rips off The Abyss but will be have the aliens from that film??

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 01:08:39 PM »