Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: Hardbacks, paperbacks and prices  (Read 2571 times)

Colonel Stitch

• View Profile
Hardbacks, paperbacks and prices
« on: May 15, 2010, 12:44:06 PM »
Hi all

What do people think about the price of scifi books at the moment?

They seem to be creeping up - £20 for a hardback, ouch!

Do you wait for paperbacks to come out, do you wait for cheap 2nd hand novels to hit Ebay and Abe Books?

How do you handle the rising cost of reading?

CS

>:(

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hardbacks, paperbacks and prices
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 01:44:18 PM »
Hello Colonel

You can always spot the things I review where I bought them myself - it keeps me grounded in prices rather than thinking everything we review is for free - by saying the price I actually bought something for.

Logistically, on the Net its always possible to get books and DVDs below retail price, even if its just a matter of waiting for a few months for the price to drop.

'Course, if you want them really cheap, you could always become a reviewer.

Geoff

Vinxlady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:38:51 AM »
I'm an (almost) 100% paperback person here. Partly the cost, which is pretty high, especially if you start collecting some of these series' that never seem to end, but also manageability. Take a Peter F Hamilton as an example - each book well over 1000 pages, doorstops in paperback, totally uncarry-able in hardback.

I tend to have an ongoing wishlist of older books that I will keep an eye out for in charity shops, but for many things it's often just as cheap to get brand new copies online. Also, being a book lover I do like my copies to be in reasonable condition and torn covers and scribbles make me unhappy so I probably wouldn't get them second hand online as I can't see the state of them before I buy them. The only exception I make to this rule is for reference books as they are so ridiculously expensive and often older versions are better than the revised ones.

If I'm desperate to read something as soon as it comes out (rare as there are so many other things I still haven't read) then I make use of the local library to request/reserve a copy as soon as is humanly possible. The library is definitely my friend :-)

Vinxlady

Geoff the head Uncle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 03:57:59 AM »
Hello Vinx

It might pay you to look at Abebooks or Albris on the Net. When I'm tracking down near impossible books to get, I end up finding them there and many a time at almost mint copies and able to pick a reasonably priced copy. There is always going to be someone out there who will under-cut an expensive price.

Geoff

JLJamieson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 12:30:41 PM »
I read A LOT.

I *only* by a hardcover when it's something I *know* I will read more than once.

I buy paperback, ebooks (only when the prices are competitive), and most often simply borrow (friend, library, whatever) or lend. I also tend to use coupons a LOT.

rubenjohnson

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 12:25:17 PM »
Innovo creates, distributes and markets hardback & paperback books, eBooks and audiobooks (audio books) for Christian self publishers and provides automated ...

Scott J Robinson

• View Profile
    • Scott J Robinson
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 07:59:37 PM »
Paper backs in Australia have a RRP of about $25 which is about 16 pounds, apparently. I can remember paying about $15 when I was a kid (about 20 years ago)It been a long time since I paid full price for a book in Australia. I usually go to Amazon or the Book depository and get it for cheaper even with the freight.

If you want a cheap e-book you could go to my website. www.scottjrobinson.com Have a read and pay whatever you think it's worth (so it may not be cheap at all, I suppose)  ;)

Scott

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 07:59:37 PM »