Smashwords

In the Company of Ghosts
currently free from...

Kindle USA
Kindle UK
Kobo
OnceWasPaper
Smashwords

Author Topic: Christmas list/best of the year  (Read 1438 times)

Vinxlady

• View Profile
Christmas list/best of the year
« on: November 16, 2010, 01:43:54 PM »
Hi guys,

That time of year is approaching again, as the shops and television adverts keep reminding us, and I know that I will definitely be having some books on my Christmas list. So I thought I'd see what everyone else would like to be under the tree this Christmas (or just what books you'd really like to be given if you don't celebrate Christmas). I'd also love to hear what your picks of the year are (not necessarily released this year, just things you've read and enjoyed). Always looking for new recommendations!

On my Christmas list this year are:
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - I actually read this last year but would like to get it and read it again in anticipation of a sequel hopefully being published next year. One of the best fantasies I've read in a long time and I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the next in the series.

Un Lun Dun by China Mieville (ps. does anyone know how to pronounce his surname?) - have read 3 or 4 of his others and enjoyed them.

Woken Furies by Richard Morgan
The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan - having enjoyed the first couple of (definitely scifi) Takeshi Kovacs books, I'd be very interested in seeing how Morgan handles more of a fantasy theme.

And my discoveries of the year:

Shadows Fall by Simon R. Green - really enjoyed this and nice to find a good (and reasonably gritty) fantasy done in one book
Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan - I know some of you have problems with some of the details but I still enjoyed it
Poison Study/Magic Study/Fire Study by Maria V. Snyder - some light entertainment aimed at young adults but engrossing none the less
Anubis Gates by Tim Powers - a good time travel story

Looking ahead to next year I'm looking forward to the paperback releases of:
Surface Detail by Iain M Banks
The Immorality Engine by George Mann
The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (hardback but will try to get hold of a copy)

So what's on your Christmas list/pick of the year/releases you're looking forward to?

Happy reading,

Vinx

SFcrowsnest.net: The genre media magazine

Christmas list/best of the year
« on: November 16, 2010, 01:43:54 PM »